Named after Lake Winnipeg, the city of Winnipeg is the largest one in the Canadian province of Manitoba. As of 2021, it is home to around 749,607 people. Often referred to as the ‘Gateway to the West,’ Winnipeg is also a hub for different transit routes.
Winnipeg has enough specialization as far as dentistry and orthodontics are concerned. People looking for an orthodontist Winnipeg probably know what the specialization is all about. According to a 2016 estimate, there are around 800 orthodontists in Canada. Compared to more than 20,000 dentists, it shows how it is different from dentistry and needs advanced training and research.
However, many people have questions regarding the treatment, its costs, etc. Here is the information if you seek the answers to the most common FAQs about orthodontics.
What medical qualification does an orthodontist carry?
Orthodontists are those pursuing a specialized postgraduate course in ‘Orthodontics’ after completing their graduation examination as a ‘Dentist.’ The additional degree the person receives is more than a medical degree. They become qualified and skilled in handling the most complex oral problems. They also become part of the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO).
What are the most common treatment options?
The most common treatment suggestion that you get from an orthodontist is as follows:
- Invisalign teeth aligners: These are the most advanced treatment options you get these days. Unlike other methods, these invisible teeth aligners are convenient and don’t provide any dental discomfort.
- Metal Braces: It is the most used, most effective, and widely suggested treatment option. Although they are unremovable without expert help, the outcome they provide is simply excellent. Metal braces have been here for ages.
- Ceramic Braces: These braces offer an almost identical treatment to the conventional metal braces but are less noticeable. So, if you don’t want something like the traditional braces, these can be a good alternative.
Do braces change your look altogether?
Using braces or any orthodontic treatment will indeed bring changes to your face. But, it will not be something drastic and odd, but purely a positive difference. Certainly, braces play a significant role in giving your face a symmetrical appearance. That is because it fixes your teeth’ alignment, which ultimately improves your mouth and jawline structure.
How do braces deliver the change?
Orthodontists suggest braces for the following orthodontic problems that make your face look odd:
- The Underbites: If you have an ‘underbite’ issue, you probably have an extended chin. Too big chins sometimes make your overall facial appearance look a bit weird.
- The Overbites: If you have an ‘overbite’ issue, then you probably have just the opposite of underbites – i.e., no chin at all. Sometimes, having a tiny chin also can be considered a problem.
- The Open Bites: In this case, you are most likely to have stretched out lips and mouth. Sometimes, this leads to problems in opening and closing your mouth.
In all of these cases, orthodontic treatment has proved to be a savior.
Look for a reputed and experienced orthodontist in Winnipeg to get the best results. Usually, braces cost somewhere between $3000 to $7000 here. However, the costs might vary depending on your treatment or looking for Invisalign as an alternative.