A clogged pipe is the cause of clogged drains and stagnant water in sinks, shower trays, and bathtubs. Many people do not know what to do if their kitchen sink is clogged, so they turn to masters. But in half of the cases you can eliminate the problem without help, using chemical solutions, powders, gels, tools and folk remedies. To prevent clogs, it is recommended at least once every six months to clean the pipeline of dirt on the walls as we do it here.
Why the water in the sink won’t go away
A clog is a buildup of debris in a pipe that prevents water from moving. If preventive measures are not taken, the sink becomes clogged with debris. Depending on the cause, there are 3 types of clogs:
- Operational – the appearance on the walls of the siphon and sewer channel of plaque from dirt, food residues, grease due to prolonged use of the sink. Without preventive work, the problem occurs after 6-12 months of regular use of the sink.
- Mechanical – large debris entering the drain, preventing the outflow of water. Most often occurs during repair work in the kitchen, accidental ingress of stones, jewelry, metal objects, etc. into the siphon.
- Technical – clogging associated with improper installation of plumbing. To solve the problem, you need to disassemble the siphon and reconnect it, taking into account the relevant rules.
Technical clogs are detected immediately after the installation of the sink, replacement of the siphon or sewage pipes that come to the sink. Therefore, when checking the quality of work, you can make a claim to the plumber and demand that the problems be corrected.
In 70% of cases, water accumulation in the sink is due to operational clogs. Without periodic cleaning, plaque builds up on the walls of the drains, preventing water from flowing out.
Cleaning the sink with mechanical methods
Not everyone understands what to do if your kitchen sink is clogged. There are more than 20 different methods of resolving the issue. To remove clogs, mechanical devices are used to ensure that the pipes are cleaned.
A plunger is a tool for cleaning the sink drain, which consists of a plastic or wooden handle and a rubber corrugated cap. Its principle of operation is similar to that of a reverse pressure pump. When making reciprocating movements up and down, the debris accumulated in the area of the siphon rises up.
How to eliminate the clog at home:
- To create hydraulic pressure, the holes of the overflow in the sink are closed with plugs;
- Press the plunger to the drain hole;
- Fill the sink with water;
- Make rhythmic reciprocating movements.
As the handle is lifted, water moves behind the cap that rises upward. When the plunger is pressed, it moves upward by inertia, so some of it pours out from under the edge of the plunger. As a result, water is pumped out of the clogged pipe along with the dirt.
If, after using the plunger, the water flows easily into the pipe, this indicates that the clog has been removed. To speed up the process, pour 100-150 ml of liquid soap into the drain before filling the sink with water. Thus, you will not only remove the clog, but also remove plaque from the walls of the sewer.
A drain rope (cobra) is a device for removing sewage impurities, which consists of a coiled wire and handle coiled into a spring. For sewer cleaning, mechanical cobras are used, but for serious clogs in general sewer systems, motorized devices are used.
The principle of operation of the plumbing cobra is very simple. Like a corkscrew, it is screwed into a clogged pipe, which leads to the destruction of compacted impurities.
How to clean if the kitchen sink is clogged:
- The sink is filled with water;
- One end of the cobra is placed in the drain;
- By turning the handle on the second end, the wire is pushed forward;
- The wire together with the impurities is pulled out of the drain.
Open the hot water faucet for 2-4 minutes to allow the clogged pipe to be cleared of contaminants.
If the sink in the bathroom or kitchen is clogged, and special gels or solutions do not help, use a wire hook. It is a cobra-like device with a hook at one end. When you rotate the wire, dirt gets wrapped around it, preventing the outflow of water.
Before cleaning the clog in the kitchen sink, determine the appropriate nozzle. Depending on the composition and diameter of the plug, to remove it are used:
- Spade – removes accumulated grease;
- Scraper – cleans the walls of the drain from plaque;
- Augers – pulverize non-solid deposits;
- Hook – picks up and removes debris plugs.
To remove a clog, the hook is lowered into the hole in the drain, then rotated several times and pulled out.
A flexible shaft is a springy wire braided in plastic or rubber. It differs from the cobra by the ability to transmit torque between the axes that constantly change orientation relative to each other. Such a device will help break through a clog in any area of the sewer system.
Different nozzles are attached to the shaft to remove contaminants:
- sliding blade;
Blow Vacuum Cleaner
To quickly remove dirt in the siphon will help vacuum cleaner, working on a blow-out. The procedure is performed as follows:
- Water is scooped out of the sink;
- Attach a rubber cap to the air duct of the vacuum cleaner;
- Press the nozzle to the drain;
- Turn on the vacuum cleaner for blowing out.
If the plug is successfully eliminated, you will hear a characteristic popping sound. But this method is suitable for dealing with non-serious clogs. If the length of the plug is 5-7 cm, only a cobra, a flexible shaft or a hook can cope with the task.
Disassembly and cleaning of the sink siphon
When it is not possible to eliminate a clog in the sink with tools or chemicals, you will have to completely disassemble the siphon. Modern elements of the drain are made of plastic, which are easy to unscrew, so even a beginner will cope with the task.
Disassembling the siphon:
- Scoop the water out of the sink;
- Place a basin under the trap;
- Unscrew the connection at the level of the odour trap;
- Remove any dirt deposits.
If during disassembly fat deposits are visible on all elements of the siphon, it is completely dismantled and cleaned. After cleaning, the drain elements are screwed back to the sink, not forgetting to install the o-rings.
How to Clean a Kitchen Sink with Household Chemistry
To remove a clog in the drain under the sink, use products that are high in surfactants. They dissolve grease plugs, food particles, and other small debris.
How to clear clogs from the pipe:
- the sink is filled with hot water;
- after 20 minutes, it is scooped out;
- pour the powder or gel into the drain;
- leave for 1-8 hours as recommended by the manufacturer;
- fill the sink with hot water;
- create additional pressure with a plunger to break through the pipe.
If powders are used, no more than a cup of hot water is poured into the drain. After removing the contaminants, the pipeline is rinsed with warm water for at least 10 minutes.
Most pipe clogging remedies contain concentrated acids or alkalis. Therefore, you should wear long, thick rubber gloves and goggles to protect your eyes during the procedure.
How to prevent a second clog
To keep your sink from clogging up in the future, it should be periodically cleaned. If you follow preventive measures, you can avoid plumbing repairs for years to come.
How to prevent clogs:
- In the case of grease in the sink, you need to remove the plaque immediately using detergents;
- To collect garbage in the drain install a quick-release plastic or metal grid;
- Dishes are washed only with warm or hot water using fat-soluble gels;
- At least once every two weeks, the sink siphon is treated with a pipe cleaner.
Removal of clogs is not a difficult procedure, which can be coped with by a novice. To clean sewer networks, use folk or store-bought tools, special devices – ropes, flexible shafts, steel bands. To avoid repeated clogging, it is necessary to clean pipes with chemicals from time to time.